With properties developed between 1920 and 1952, the Encanto-Palmcroft Historic District covers most of the area from McDowell to Thomas Road between 7th and 15th Avenues. Locals often refer to this area as simply “Encanto”, but there are in fact, two other nearby Historic Preservation Districts sharing the name (Encanto Vista and Encanto Manor).
Encanto-Palmcroft is probably the best-known residential historic area of the City, in part because of the size, price, luxury level, and curb appeal of so many of the homes. The neighborhood became the home to several well-known, affluent Phoenix residents in it’s early days, including Palmcroft developer Dwight B. Heard. Heard, a rancher and publisher of The Arizona Republican newspaper, along with William G. Hartranft, bought 80 acres and began the Palmcroft subdivision on the south side of Palm Lane. The Encanto subdivision was a project of Lloyd C. Lakin and George T. Peter.
The Kenilworth streetcar line, ran as far north as Encanto Boulevard at the time. The Encanto-Palmcroft area also stands out for its curved street pattern in a break from the typical grid system of Phoenix. Between McDowell Road and Palm Lane lies two nearly identical patterns characterized by street loops at their centers with a north-south and east west pair of intersecting streets in the middle. Among the Revival architectural styles found in the neighborhood are Tudor, Pueblo , Mediterranean, Monterey, and Spanish Colonial.
Encanto-Palmcroft has quite a festive Home Tour event that takes place every other year. The Home Tour typically includes a street fair with arts & crafts event, food, live music, an antique car show and more.
The 2015 Home Tour takes place Sunday, March 29th.